Identity & Access Management (IAM)
The last control plane
Where is your data located? How do you access it? How do external entities access it? How is access to it controlled and secured?
In most businesses and organizations, the answers are diverse. Many already have, or will soon get, a hybrid infrastructure where some data and applications are hosted in different clouds while others are hosted by their partners or within their own infrastructure. Add to this that increasingly users expect that everything should be available anywhere and on any device, including their own personal mobile devices. In addition, we work and collaborate in completely different ways than previously; the traditional business organization is now replaced by a super organization where collaborations occur across organizational boundaries.
Traditional security barriers like firewalls and administrative/controlled devices therefore can not hold back the tide alone anymore. We must think differently....
When a service should be available anywhere on any device, what is the final security barrier? The answer is: the identity of the person using the service. Therefore, having control of identities and what they can access, is much more important than ever before.
Identity and Access Management is the solution
IAM as a system is not just a set of specialized tools, but also processes and policies to:
- Ensure that the correct people have access to the applications and data they need, but no more than that
- Ensure that they have this access as quickly and as simply as possible
- Automate and streamline the creation of user accounts and permissions, where it is sensible, and facilitate simple self-service functions / electronic workflow in other cases.
- Facilitate the safe use of cloud services, without the need for yet more login credentials
- Avoid the user needing to remember multiple passwords where possible and reduce the risk of company passwords going astray
- Provide identity based application access from anywhere, on any device
- Facilitate effective collaboration between different organizations without incurring additional identity management overheads and making it difficult for the user to logon
- Minimize audit discrepancies; support the IT audit process through simpler collection of data, automated analysis, fast reporting, regular re-certification, risk management and other controls
- Ensure that the authentication procedure and access is determined based on where and who the user is and what type of device they are using
Portions of IAM also address security, but with mechanisms that improve the user experience rather than degrading it.
Challenges we can help you solve
Bouvet offer IAM tools and services adapted to meet the needs of both large and small businesses. Every business of every size needs some form of IAM and we focus on our customers' specific challenges. For example:
- How can you give safe and easy access to various internal and external parties to a joint project support tool in SharePoint?
- How do you ensure that internal corporate passwords are not compromised?
- How can you adopt cloud services like Office365 in a safe and easy way?
- How should you allow staff to use their own mobile devices, wherever they are, to access your applications and easily and securely control that access?
- How could you simplify logging in for your users to your own and others' services?
- You need help to adopt Microsoft's Azure AD platform.
- You spend a lot of time on manual management of identities and access to various applications and employees are not able to be productive from day one
- Employees and externals still have access even after they have left
- Your audit processes are time consuming and identify discrepancies related to identities and access rights and you would like to automate, simplify and improve the quality of the audit process
Bouvet IAM services
Here at Bouvet we have experts in IAM, which allow us to offer a variety of services to solve you challenges:
- Technology and product advisory
- Preperation and specification for RFPs
- Process analysis and improvement
- Risk analysis
- Integration with cloud services
- Architecture consultancy (hybrid, cloud, on-premise)
- Cost analysis – current situation
- IAM project methodology
- Architecture and design
- Project coordination and management
- ROI and cost analysis – after the project
Operation and maintenance
- Operation at various service levels and time windows
- Management and support
- Licence advisory and assistance in licence auditing
- Disaster recover planning and testing
Other Bouvet services within security
Bouvet also offers a range of expert services within security, which are not IAM related. You can read more here.